Friday, September 15, 2006

1st week @t Pearson College!!

Pearson College, Pearson College.. Those are the words that swirled around in my head during the whole summer actually. The anxious feeling tingling inside me even got more intense after I had left for the Interrail trip, knowing that when I come back it would be only very few days until I finally fly to Canada.
I spent most of the day (before my flight) packing. I actually was worried, since I had like way too many T’s and other clothes with me (according to the other Austrian scholarship holders I had asked for advice), but in the end (after a – in my eyes- very generous reduction of clothes) it turned out to be that there were people at the Pearson College who had twice as much as I did!
Anyways, I arrived well in Vancouver (after a 13 hour flight from Vienna (stopover in Amsterdam)) and was pretty jet lagged…
José from Mexico met up with me after I had arrived at the airport. We found out that we were both arriving at about the same time and both a day too early (we were supposed to be arriving on the 3rd but instead our flight was booked for the 2nd of September), so we decided to meet each other via chat. Worked out all well.. so far. We tried to look for a place to stay in Vancouver. The information booth only had about 3 places left to stay and they were way too far from the Ferry bay and waaay too expensive so we decided to stay overnight at the Vancouver airport at that point.
We went for a walk outside the airport to have a look at Vancouver city, but had to discover that without any buses it was nearly impossible to do so, as the airport itself was separated on an isolated island. So we walked back to the airport *sigh*.
After a couple of hours we were luckily picked up by Liz, an alumni of the Pearson College, and we were allowed to stay at her house which was situated in Vancouver.
On the following day we travelled to Victoria via Ferry Bay and were picked up at the Swartz Bay Ferry terminal and brought to the Lester B. Pearson College of the Pacific.
Very ironically I discovered that José is in fact one of my roommates. Each room has 2 1st years and 2 2nd years. My 2 2nd years are Sitraka from Madagascar and Mohammed from Palestine. I couldn’t have been more happy with my roommates I suppose; they’re all really nice (there are 5 houses by the way, and I’m in East house. *Yay, go East house! :)*).
Anyways, I got to know all of the other 1st and 2nd years. In total we’re 200 scholarship holders from 89 different countries.
During the first week, we hiked on the Juan de Fuca Trail which is about 10 km long and camped at the Bear Beach for 2 days. It was really nice to see; lots of greenery, the ocean, the mountains on the other side of the ocean (belonging to the USA) and.. lots of fun with us UWC people!!! =) Check out the pics for a glimpse of our hiking trip (who would have thought I would one day love hiking that much??)

The first week was totally amazing with even more amazing people!! Lots of administrational stuff though, I must admit.
Well, this was about it for my reportage on my first week. Next up: Metchosin day! ;)
Byes, Chris.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home